September's Featured Member- Lauren Minco of The Art of Lauren Minco


It's September and it's back to school for the kids as well as our next featured Arts In RI artist Lauren Minco of The Art Of Lauren Minco. Lauren teaches continuing Ed and Pre-college at RI School of Design and she is an adjunct professor at Montserrat College of Art. Lauren is also a talented illustrator and painter and her shop is bright, fun and edgy. There is always something unexpected in each of her pieces which make it so much fun to view her work. Her work has been featured in many publications and is shown in galleries across the country. We asked Lauren to tell us more about herself.

Lauren can you give us a little background on yourself:

I moved around in the Southern states before ending up in Texas as a teen. It was then that I started seriously taking art classes and decided that art school is where I wanted to be. I went to The Rhode Island School of Design and majored in Illustration in 2006. I’m happy to say art is my life. I’m always doing freelance, showing work in galleries, or teaching art. I currently teach at RISD’s Continuing Education branch (including Pre-College) and will be starting my second year as an adjunct instructor in Montserrat College of Art’s Illustration Department. I currently live in the Wayland Square area of Providence and enjoy watching people walk their dogs past my house as I work.

When did you first become interested in your art form?

I was always creative as a kid, but it wasn’t until I was twelve or thirteen that I kept a sketchbook and all that. That was a very important step in taking myself seriously as an artist.

What inspires you?

I love street art, folk art, stories, pop culture, Japanese silkscreen, and a bunch of other elements. I prefer to listen to music when I work and I think there is something in that experience that helps me develop my imagery.

Does living in Rhode Island influence your work in any way?

I happen to be by many fellow illustrators that I have found through RISD or the Providence art scene, plus being around my old instructors and contributing to RISD definitely helps me keep my creative energy up. I have found a community that helps me function and keep going as an artist.

What techniques do you use the most in your work?

I’m a painter (although many people think my work is digital). I enjoy using acryla gouache on silkscreen paper, although lately I have painted on wood, too.

What do you find most challenging in your work?

No matter how old I am or how many clients I get, I think I will always be asking myself if I’m good enough! You are your own worst critique, and sometimes that means that you have to remember to pat yourself on the back and feel good about your accomplishments.

How did you find Etsy?

My friends told me about Etsy, and it took me a good year before I actually joined.

Apart from your Etsy work, what do you do?

As mentioned before, I teach and do freelance. Some of my clients include Scholastic Press, Girls’ Life Magazine, and Galison/Mudpuppy. I also am happy to be showing my work across the country. When one part of my life is a little slow, usually another part speeds up.

What's your favorite place in Rhode Island?

If you follow my street in Wayland Square it takes you behind Blackstone Blvd pass these AMAZING homes surrounded by the water and small park areas. You’re away from the traffic, the city, and it’s very relaxing.
If you like this Arts In RI blog post...spread the love!
Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Facebook Tell Your Tweets
2 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Very nice article. I love your work. It's so colorful and whimsical!


  2. Lauren Says:

    Thank you! I'm just glad there are no horrible typos (phew!).