Puppet Making 101







It all began a few years ago when my very talented son, Brett Eves, started to sculpt. One thing led to another and before long he had one of his pieces published in Somerset Studio's Art Doll Quarterly. Only the beginning.....


The next year, just before Christmas, I received a box in the mail filled with latex puppet heads. They looked somewhat like naked baby somethings.





I gave Brett a call, asking, "what should I do with them?" and his easy reply was "anything you want!" That's all it took for this collaboration to find it's start. Now, many puppets later, we're still going strong and waiting to see the next character to emerge....
Tho I can't claim to understand how he takes a sculpted piece and through use of handmade molds, creates the latex
head he gives to me to embellish, I can attest to the fact that the molds lie in wait in my attic for each successive pouring. Here's what they look like when I get them.


At this point, I mix my paints and start the process of adding a little character to these guys.




All painted work is then sealed with a fixative. From there, I dress them in all the fabulous upholstery fabrics I can find. Each is unique. A few feathers and beads finish the process, taking
a piece of pink latex and giving it the personality it deserves! In truth, the little guys get kinda pushy, the closer they come to completion. I guess it takes all kinds....
If you like this Arts In RI blog post...spread the love!
Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Facebook Tell Your Tweets
4 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    You did it!!!!!

    I love seeing the process! Amazing!


  2. Oh my goodness, these are amazing! Great work!


  3. Lauren Says:

    Very cool to see the process. Thanks for sharing!