In Mother's Honor



Arts in RI team members decided to creatively challenge one another to come up with Mother's Day themed items and post them for you on our blog. We will be running a contest between now and midnight May 9th. All you have to do to enter our contest is leave a comment for the artist about the creation and you will be entered into a random drawing for a basket of handmade goods made by Arts In RI members. You can leave a comment every time we post a new item for multiple chances of winning! We are also offering the winner the option of having the winning basket sent directly to his or her mother if they so choose!

To continue ArtsInRI's celebration of Mother's Day, Carol of Lodestar Wovens, has created a gorgeous shawl inspired by her mother.

"When I think of Mom, I think of those long walks on the beach hand in hand, curling up on a warm loving lap and snuggling, and hours spent just being close. I felt so loved and cherished as a little girl and I owe it all to her!

This year, in honor of my mother, I designed and wove what I hope is a fitting bit of gratitude for all she has given me. I took the softest cream and white fibers I could find and wound them into a mixed warp. Then I wove a simple triangular shawl. The magic happened after that....a dye bath of orange and yellow used with a low water immersion dyeing technique, produced this beautiful addition to any wardrobe!"

Let us know how you feel about Carol's work in the comments section and you will be entered into a random drawing for a gift basket filled with goodies made by Arts In RI artisans. Check back here on May 9th to see if you have won!
If you like this Arts In RI blog post...spread the love!
Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Facebook Tell Your Tweets
10 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    What a lovely tribute to your mom, and a gorgeous scarf!



  2. Dessert Diva Says:

    I agree with Valerie, a lovely tribute and gorgeous scarf. I know my mom would adore it - I can see it around her neck now! Haha.

    Your shop is amazing!

    danunepthys(at)hotmail(dot)com


  3. What a neat scarf!

    littleyellowbirdboutique@yahoo.com


  4. Anonymous Says:

    What a beautiful beautiful scarf!


  5. The scarf is absolutely beautiful, and so is your story about your mom.


  6. Kerri Settle Says:

    The scarf is gorgeous and exactly something I could see my mother in law wearing. It's really beautiful.


  7. Once again, another unique item...I'd love to have that!! Where are my children??? Spiffyspooner.


  8. Megan Says:

    I love to know the story behind a piece -- your shawl is amazing and the memories you shared that inspired your creation make it even more so... Thanks from Megan at Apiary Designs - apiarydesigns@yahoo.com


  9. Anonymous Says:

    What a lovely tribute to your mom, and a gorgeous scarf!
    ___________________

    Vince

    Save OVER 50% for 3 months,Save $21/mo for an Entire Year!* on your Favorite Channels