Im Back

Hahaha bet you didnt know I was even gone!

Last week I was farm sitting for a friend who has alpacas. What are alpacas? Well here is a pic of a farm close to the one that I was sitting for that just had two new baby alpacas.

What I had to do was get up and feed them, give them water, scoop beans (poop), feed chickens, feed dogs, walk dogs, check kitties, and anything else twice a day. It was a lot of fun, but I only wish it was cooler last week!

Unfortunately due to my being away my shop has not had any new items. So what have I been working on? Well this merino.


Okay okay it looks pretty confusing...well it is! Hahhahaah I heard of Navajo plying and thought I would give it a try. So what you do is make a really long single ( I did 4 ounces worth). This part seemed to take me forever....probably 20 hours. Then you put on a new bobbin and Navajo ply it! It is like hand crocheting, so you get a 3 ply yarn from a single! I could not have made a 3 ply yarn the traditional way because I only have a total of 3 bobbins, and being how expensive bobbins are I did not really want to buy another one. So this was great!

Well I didnt stop there. I Navajo plied the whole single. Then I took off half onto another bobbin and spun the two together. So now its a 6 ply! holy cow~! I was pretty excited about my first 6 ply. So now I can make a 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12 plied yarn! Pretty cool!


The yarn is a 64 ct merino. So it isnt super soft, but it is super squishy. I hand dyed the roving in blue and brown. Now I just have to think of something to make with it. Maybe inside shoes?
If you like this Arts In RI blog post...spread the love!
Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Facebook Tell Your Tweets
1 Response
  1. Gorgeous yarn, makes me want winter to come!