May Featured Member- Linda Cox Demers of a' la mode


May's featured member is one of our founding teammates Linda Cox Demers of a' la mode. Linda is a dynamic, beautiful, hip and extremely talented entrepreneur. She balances her family and her art and makes it look easy! She's also our "go to girl" for all things blog, Internet and social networking. Once you have had time to digest all the goodies in her shop (and believe me you are going love it) you must also check out her blog and several of the blogs; scoutie girl and the girl indie blog she contributes to regularly. We asked Linda to tell us about herself:

Give us a little background on yourself:

I was born and raised in the Midwest, just outside of Chicago. After college, I moved to Chicago where I met my husband. We lived there, except for 18 months in Philadelphia, for many years before moving to Rhode Island. I have two boys ages 12 and 7 years.

When my family moved to Rhode Island in 2004, I needed to find work that allowed me flexible hours. I always wanted to have my own business, so I took the leap and began making and selling my designs online in 2005. I began wholesaling handbags and decorative light switch plates under the name à la mode.

When did you first become interested in your art form?

I have been designing, creating, and dreaming of art since I was very small. I have dabbled in just about every art form imaginable since I was very small. As a result, I never felt drawn to any particular art medium. It was the process that interested me, teaching myself how to do something or taking something apart and making it into something else.

As a little girl, I learned to sew from my mom. I was very crafty and would make things out of whatever I could find. I remember making a little television set for my Barbie with a cardboard jewelry box and sewing pins for antenna. If I wanted a new skirt or handbag, I’d make it.

What inspires you?

Simple, everyday things really inspire me most. I might notice a pattern on a building or a piece of hardware in the local hardware store. I love making utilitarian objects into something useful and beautiful.

Does living in Rhode Island influence your work in any way?

Absolutely, although it doesn’t manifest Itself in a literal way. I take walks to the beach which allows me to relax and gain clarity in art and life. The beauty in nature definitely influences my work.

What techniques do you use the most in your work?

Since I make many different things, it is hard to say. Knowing how to sew and piece things together has helped me deconstruct things. One medium I use almost everyday and in all of my work is photography.

What do you find most challenging in your work?

I really like the initial process of bringing a totally new idea to life. Sometimes I wake up with an idea, often a crazy one, and I’ll obsess over it for a while until I can figure out how to create it. It may take me many frustrating tries before I’m happy with it, but if it comes together in the end, that fulfills me most.

How did you find Etsy?

I knew about Etsy when it first started but was very skeptical about it. It seemed like a great idea, but I needed to see it work. It took me two years to finally decide to join. Once I did, I joined this great team and have learned so much about selling online (on and off Etsy).

Apart from your Etsy work, what do you do?

I love to spend time with my family, preferably away from home since that is where I work. I like to blog and explore the Internet. I like to garden, read, take pictures and hang out with friends.

What's your favorite place in Rhode Island?

I’d say the beach. Every time I go to any beach in RI, I feel energized. Coming from the Midwest, there is nothing like the ocean (sorry, Lake Michigan).
If you like this Arts In RI blog post...spread the love!
Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Facebook Tell Your Tweets
4 Responses
  1. Dessert Diva Says:

    I love the black bag pictured - the grommets (or whatever they are) add a little kick to it!

    danunepthys(at)hotmail(dot)com


  2. Tracy Says:

    Linda's work is incredible! I own two bags myself!