Do you?? ..... because I DO!!! (part one)


With the demise of my beloved Print Gocco, and supplies skyrocketing in price before their inevitable depletion, I've been doing tons of research on what the next step will be for my stationery business. There are lots of ideas swirling around the internet about ways to modify your Print Gocco; using Photo EZ, Stencil Pro, etc. but for some reason I just didn't want to get all Frankenstein on my Gocco. I've been feeling like maybe it's just time to move on. I've always played around with the idea of going back to "real" screenprinting. My first love will always be Gocco (and I have the tattoo to prove it), but there is something very satisfying about actually pulling a print that's lost on the Gocco.

There's been a lot of buzz about this new screenprinting unit from Provocraft called the Yudu (pronounced You Do, corny, right?). It's sold at craft stores and clearly marketed toward the scrapbooking mom (a category clear on the other side of the craft spectrum from me), but I can't deny that I've been very intrigued by it. The website barely gives any information about it and the video tutorials are laughable. It's like the everyman's screenprinting machine. It's the kind of thing that all the poster artists around Providence that I respect would totally laugh at. Lucky for me I don't care about people laughing because I bought the f'ing thing. I know that I could have gotten a nice, traditional screenprinting set up for the same amount of money, but I like gadgets and I LOVE the all-in-oneness of this machine. It's inevitable that screenprinting will be messy, and traditional screenprinting is much messier than Gocco, but I get the feeling that with this machine it will be a little easier to stay clean. For what I do (wedding invitations mainly) I can't have a mess, everything needs to be tidy.

Now before you get all excited to see my results, I haven't tried it yet. I've created a test image with all different font sizes and some detailed images that my Gocco handles without breaking a sweat. The main concern I have about the Yudu is that the mesh count of the screens is much lower than the Print Gocco screens. Print Gocco screens have a mesh count of 200, while Yudu screens are only 110, and basically the higher the mesh count the more detail you can get. The awesome news is that I just spoke with a rep from Yudu and she told me that they hope to be offering a 220 mesh screen in May *fingers crossed*

I have to admit I'm a little nervous to try it out. I've been Goccoing for 11 years, before that I took every printmaking class I could along with my textile design classes in college, but it's been a long time. I've screenprinted 3 color designs in repeat on 5 yard lengths of fabric on 3 separate occasions, but I've never once pulled a print on paper. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, I'm just really hoping that when the finer mesh screen becomes available this will be a suitable replacement for my Print Gocco. In the meantime you can rest assured that I will be making some kick ass shirts and experimenting to see what I can accomplish on paper. Check back for an update to see how my tests go.... and wish me luck!

Happy crafting, Heather
If you like this Arts In RI blog post...spread the love!
Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Facebook Tell Your Tweets
10 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    SO EXCITING!!!!! do a video!!!


  2. Angela Says:

    I was scoping these out the other day but I missed the live demo at the store. So I agree with Julie . . . video!


  3. Can't wait to see what comes of it!!


  4. Lisa Says:

    Okay...the last time I came close to screenprining was in high school. It involved a hand made screen, ink, a squeegee and a frigging mess!
    This is so intriguing, can't wait to see a video!


  5. Venbead Says:

    lisa you crack me up. hey heather I resemble that remark about the scrapbooking mom!
    this looks like a cool gadget. i love gadgets! can't wait to see.


  6. Kristin Says:

    I'm excited to see what you make. No doubt it will be awesome!


  7. Erin Bassett Says:

    Can't wait to see how you like it & what you make. I have a Yudu & have used it on fabric, cardstock, felt, & vinyl...works great on them all. PC is developing a finer mesh screen for paper-crafting though, so just be patient. :D Feel free to stop by my blog to see what I'm Yuduing.

    http://www.erinbassett.typepad.com/


  8. Erin Bassett Says:

    BTW, forgot to tell you about this Yudu video: http://handmadedetroit.com/2009/02/28/craftervidz-yudu-screen-printing-machine/


  9. Unknown Says:

    I can't wait to see how it goes! Great post, Heather!!


  10. I can't wait to see your results and hear your review. Fingers crossed that a 220 screen comes out!