Stop Ten on our Etsy Rhode Trip: Virginia!

Proudly representing the state of Virginia is Luna Chick Designs, whose intricately crafted chain maille jewelry is just...awesome.

Lunachick Designs

HT: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

LC: I'm 24 and a life-long resident of the New River Valley in Southwest VA. I've been designing and creating jewelry for almost four years now and I've loved every minute of it! Besides creating jewelry, I love animals, sushi, and learning as much as I can every day.

HT: How did you start making jewelry, specifically chain maille?

LC: Well, I began tinkering with base metal wire and gemstone chips after a bad breakup. It gave me the perfect creative outlet and ended up being great art therapy for me. As for the chainmaille, I saw a few pieces of it on DeviantArt and immediately had to try it. I've been a plier wielding maniac ever since!

HT: What inspires your work?

LC: My materials, mostly. I like building pieces around stones themselves. The ideas always start with them.

HT: How did you find Etsy?

LC: A friend of mine suggested that I sell there. Good thing she did, too.

HT: What aspects of your state inspire you?

LC: I live smack in the middle of mountains, and they're really beautiful. The sunsets here are just fabulous, too.

HT: What is most challenging aspect of your work?

LC: Making chainmaille can be both therapeutic and frustrating. After you open and close a bazillion rings making a really large piece, it gets a bit tiresome sometimes. Keeping designs fresh and different is also pretty challenging...there's a LOT of jewelry out in the world today!

HT: What is the most rewarding aspect of your work?

LC: Of course, I love when it sells, but I love how it makes the one that bought it feel while wearing it. I've gotten some great feedback on how people enjoy wearing my pieces, so that makes me feel pretty good.

HT: Have you ever visited Rhode Island?

LC: I drove through on the way to Maine once. I was asleep at the time, though. I'm sure it was beautiful!

HT: What is your favorite color?

LC: Purple. All shades of it. LOVE it.

HT: Do you have a favorite item in your shop?

LC: It's really hard to pick a favorite. They all have a special place in my heart but my Cerridwen necklace would be up near the top of the list.

HT: Any items from other Etsy sellers that you are currently coveting?

LC: A skirt by LovePeaceandDye. It's been in my faves since I joined, I think! I'll own it some day. Maybe for Spring.

HT: What are your shop goals for 2008?

LC: I'd love to hit at least 200 sales. I'm sitting at 107 right now, so there's a possibility that it'll happen. I'll also be trying to add new pieces as opposed to just renewing older items.
If you like this Arts In RI blog post...spread the love!
Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Facebook Tell Your Tweets
1 Response
  1. Unknown Says:

    wow...that looks so complicated! kudos for the amount of patience you must have!