Stop Six on our Etsy Rhode Trip: Connecticut!

Our featured Etsian from Connecticut is none other than my massively talented mother! I swear I'm not biased, even if I didn't know her, I'd still be blown away by her amazing and innovative one of a kind designs!

Uniquely Nancy

HT: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

NT: My name is Nancy Tanguay and I'm a professional seamstress. I've been sewing for 50 years and I've been working as a costumer for the last 15 years.

HT: How did you find out about Etsy?
NT: My daughter, who is an artist, told me about Etsy, and I felt the immediate pull to try it out. I've been doing craft shows for 30 years and it felt like it was time to try something new!

HT: How did you become interested in making handbags?

NT: I love sewing and quilting, but I wanted to expand my work into something more three dimensional, so I tried designing a handbag and I was hooked!

HT: What aspects of your home state inspire you?

NT: I live in a very rural area with my husband and son. There are a lot of crafters in the area (there's not much else to do!) and they inspire me to keep trying new ideas. We are all fabric-aholics, and enjoy taking day trips to fabric stores across the state. We are like kids in a candy store!

HT: What are your favorite materials?

NT: I love all fabric. I really can't choose one type of fabric that I love more than any other - I use everything from cotton to wool to dupioni silk to batik!

HT: Do you currently have a favorite item in your shop?

NT: I love my new teapot handbags and catch-alls, especially the yellow one with the blue flowers, and the pumpkin! I put potpourri in the one in my personal collection and sewing notions in another, using the lid for a pin cushion.

HT: Have you ever visited Rhode Island?

NT: I visit Rhode Island about twice a year since my daughter moved there. It's a beautiful state with inspiring scenery. I often visited the beaches there in my youth.

HT: What is your favorite color?

NT: I do have a tendency to choose a lot of fabrics in the blue family, but I also love the vibrancy of reds, oranges and yellows.

HT: What are your Etsy New Year's resolutions?

NT: I'm hoping to develop a dozen new patterns this year, and maybe something completely new and out of the box!
If you like this Arts In RI blog post...spread the love!
Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Facebook Tell Your Tweets
1 Response
  1. Unknown Says:

    Go momma tanguay! LOVE the teapot handbags, so cute and unique!