Stop Two on our Etsy Rhode Trip: New Hampshire!

Our next stop on our Etsy Rhode Trip is the lovely state of New Hampshire to visit Lisa Hendrick. If you haven't checked out her Etsy shop yet, you are seriously missing out. Her jewelry is simply gorgeous!


Lisa's Lovlies

HT: Tell me a little bit about yourself.

LH: I am a wife and mother of two boys. I own a small child care business. My passion is designing and creating jewelry.

HT: What’s it like living and working in the backwoods of New Hampshire?

LH: I love New Hampshire. I have lived many places and I always come back here! I live in a small town and wonderful community. My surroundings are the epitome of natural beauty. I get much inspiration for my designs right out my back door.

HT: I see you’ve sold 150 items on Etsy since August – congrats, and well deserved – your work is absolutely stunning! Is Etsy a full time or part time gig for you?

LH: Part-time for now. I am hoping it will turn into full-time!! We'll see.

HT: Do you have any advice on running a successful Etsy shop?

LH: I don't have any secrets or original advice. I pay attention to what successful sellers do. I try and take decent pictures (always daylight), I poke around in the forums, I re-list 2-4 times a day, I keep a blog. That's it!

HT: How did you start making jewelry? From where do you draw your inspiration?

LH: I went on Ebay for the first time in my life last December. I ended up selling all of the "good but don't use anymore" stuff in my home. I thought to myself, "I want to find something else to sell, maybe I'll try and make jewelry." I ordered a few beads and some sterling. My skills progressed very quickly. I have learned much in a very short time.

HT: How did you find out about Etsy? What is your favorite aspect of Etsy?

LH: A seller on Etsy saw my jewelry on Ebay and sent me a message telling me she thought I would do well on Etsy. I thought the message was spam and trashed it. A couple of weeks later I was trying to recall the name of the site the woman mentioned in the message. I googled something like it and ended up finding Etsy and setting up my shop. I have since closed my Ebay store. My favorite aspect of Etsy is being among and selling beside so much incredible talent!

HT: Did you take the handmade pledge?

LH: Yes!!

HT: What are your favorite materials?

LH: Sterling silver, turquoise, liver of sulfur...

HT: Is it ever hard for you to part with your items?

LH: I get a thrill that someone will be decorating their body with something I made completely with my hands.

HT: What is the greatest compliment of your work you have ever received?

LH:I have received the sweetest convo's people telling me they love my designs. I was commissioned to do a tutorial on my rings for a very well known magazine in August. But, I would have to say that on Thanksgiving day this year, my dad and I were talking about my little Etsy shop and I was telling him how I was doing and he saw my work and said, "Honey, I am so proud of you".
If you like this Arts In RI blog post...spread the love!
Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Facebook Tell Your Tweets
0 Responses