Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Tickling the Muse






Main Entry: in·spi·ra·tion
Pronunciation: \ˌin(t)-spə-ˈrā-shən, -(ˌ)spi-\
Function: noun
Date: 14th century

1 a : a divine influence or action on a person believed to qualify him or her to receive and communicate sacred revelation b : the action or power of moving the intellect or emotions c : the act of influencing or suggesting opinions
2 : the act of drawing in; specifically : the drawing of air into the lungs
3 a : the quality or state of being inspired b : something that is inspired
4 : an
inspiring agent or influence

in·spi·ra·tion·al \-shnəl, -shə-nəl\ adjective

in·spi·ra·tion·al·ly adverb


So where does your inspiration come from? How do you design your masterpiece? On the days when I'm struggling for a new idea I try to sit back quietly and come up with the ever elusive answer to those questions....

For me, more often than not, it's a trip through the garden that inspires me and I find myself using colors in my handwoven work that I never would have chosen

otherwise. Ever notice how startling red and green seem side by side until you see a greenhouse full of poinsettias at Christmas time? They can absolutely take my breath away with their natural beauty and the color combination seems so perfect.

Other times it is remembering a special moment I've experienced. Very little beats sunset on the water off a Cape Cod beach. I can see this picture, close my eyes and be there...Chilled Chardonnay in hand and dinner sizzling on the grill. I've yet to wind a warp that mimics that skyline, but I promise it's bubbling up inside of me and will emerge soon!

One of my favorite travel destinations to date is an out of the way beach on Bermuda named "Tobacco Cove". Ever been there? if you have, you will join me in celebrating the mix of blue, turquoise and green shades that abound. It's stunning! and there are 8 handwoven Lodestar Wovens shawls roaming around out there to prove it! I relived the place while in the process of using it as inspiration and enjoyed every minute of it.

So let me know. I'm always looking for inspiration and would love to hear about where you find yours...

("Cloudy"'s reminder: try thinking out side the box!)
If you like this Arts In RI blog post...spread the love!
Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Facebook Tell Your Tweets
0 Responses